Old Houses of Interest
Hawthorne Cottage and Ashdene
The Cottages near the Drovers Arms (Hawthorne Cottage and Ashdene) London Road has deeds dating from 1729. Before the Drovers Arms was build these cottages were at one time known as the "Ring o Bells' and sold beer. In 1829 the new vicar of Lower Peover arrived by stage coach from Westmoreland and enquired from the landlord, William Bell, the way to Lower Peover Church. Mr Holmes because the vicar schoolmaster, doctor and farmer until 1874 and was very well liked and admired.
The Drovers Arms
The Drovers Arms, London Road dates from the mid 19th century when cattle and geese were driven from the Welsh Shropshire borders to the heavily populated industrial areas around Manchester. William Peover, the first owner was a farmer and dealer himself. In hist 10 acre field behind the Drovers, cattle could be pastured over night (for a small fee). Cattle were shod for their journey, pigs too, though they had little woollen socks and leather soles! The Davenport Family were inn keepers until recent times.
The Drovers is now an Equestrian Shop.
The Three Greyhounds
The pub stands at the cross roads which at one time was on the edge of the Rudheath woods. Greyhounds were royal hunting dogs and there may be an association with a royal hunting ground. The Cheshire Hint has met there for many years.