Accessibility Statement for Allostock Parish Council website
This Accessibility Statement applies to the website of https://allostockparishcouncil.co.uk/ This website is run by Allostock Parish Council.
We have taken steps to make this website more accessible by adding functionality allowing you to:
- Change colours, contrast levels, font types and highlight links
- Adjust and enlarge text sizes and mouse cursors
- Navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- Listen to most of the website using a screen reader
You can access these settings directly on the website by clicking the icon of a figure in a yellow circle at the top left of this website.
AbilityNet https://abilitynet.org.uk/ also has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG)
The Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) Accessibility Regulations 2018 require public sector bodies, including local parish councils, to ensure reasonable adjustments are made to their websites so they are accessible to people with various disabilities.
The website standards that councils are expected to meet are the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1. https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/
This website’s compliance with WCAG 2.1
We conducted an audit of the website. Our audit found that this website is partially compliant with WCAG 2.1. We undertook various remedial works to address some of the issues, however there are still some elements of the website that do not fully comply with the WCAG standards.
Limitations and accessibility issues with this website
We are aware of the following limitations with this website with regards accessibility:
- Use of PDFs that cannot be read by a screen reader.
- Issues with accessing pages contained within sub-menus on the main navigation.
If you find additional issues that affect your ability to use this website, please do contact us to discuss your requirements. Upon request we will consider making further changes to the website or will provide an alternative format for you to access the information you need.
What we plan to do to make this website more accessible
Some of the limitations we identified were considered disproportionate to address at this current time due to budget considerations. We took a view that we would consider and address these issues if and when users requested us to do so, or if we decided to rebuild/redesign the website in the future.
However, we will seek to address the following items in the future:
- We will add new information as website text rather than PDFs where possible, so they are able to be read by screen readers. (Please note though, there will be some documents where this is not possible. Where this is the case, we will provide the information in an alternative format upon request.)
- When we rebuild the site in the future we will ensure that the main navigation is fully accessible for keyboard navigation and screen readers.
Feedback and contact information
Please direct any feedback, requests for further information or requests for further accessibility measures/ alternative forms of communication to:
The Parish Clerk
Preparation of this Accessibility Statement
This website was tested on the 16th September 2020 by our web developer.
This Statement was prepared on the 16th September 2020 and approved by the Parish Council on 23rd September 2020