Allostock Unitarian School
From 1689 Ministers conducted school in the Chapel. The first name on the register is Jonah Stringer whose daughter married Thomas Wedgwood, they were there parents of Josiah, the famous potter.
In 1848 the first secular head master, David Bell, moved into The School House. His salary was £20 yearly for three years. He was to occupy rent free the house and garden and Chapel for a school room and to receive for his own use the payments by the scholars.
Additional conditions of the agreement were: Instructions to comprise Reading, Writing, Arithmetic, History, Geography and such other branches of an English education as may appear to the Managers and Master desirable to be taught. There is to be no interference with the religious views of the children during their attendance at school; the aim will be to give them a sound education such as may fit them for being useful and worthy members of society. It is understood that Mr Bell provides for the thorough cleaning of the Chapel at the end of every week and for the opening and closing of the Chapel on Sundays. After 3 years David Bell left his post to emigrate to Australia.
The school closed because of a blizzard on 2nd April 1917.
It was closed again on 4th Nov 1918 to 6th Jan 1919 and again 7th Feb 1919 to 17th March 1919 due to the influenza epidemic.
In 1910 Cheshire Education Committee took over the school.
During the war there were evacuees at the school a few of whom chose to remain in the area. When numbers increased in the 1960’s, the Village Hall was used as an extra classroom. At one period there was a mobile classroom in the School House garden and a new school was planned. However, when numbers attending began to fall, the school closed in 1983, despite much local opposition.
The School House, where Mrs. Wrench the school caretaker, who was remembered with much affection by generations of Allostock School children lived, is now a private house called the Old School House. The Chapel was converted into two houses called Clive Cottages so something of Allostock’s history lives on in these names.
Payment for schooling
2d per week for under 10’s.
3d per week for over 10’s
Boys could go free to Lower Peover School if their parents’ rent was less than £10 a year by virtue of the Richard Comberbach Trust endowment of Lower Peover School 1710 to 1720.
The school recommenced on 17th January 1848. There were four boys and seven girls. A Mistress was appointed for girls to provide instruction in needlework.
Miss Leah 1851-1861
Lydia Peake 1862 (Married and left)
Miss Henstock Resigned
Miss Gallimore ended 1872
Marianne Johnston 1878 -86
Caroline Johnston 1886-1925
Edith Halestrap 1926-1933
Marie Lloyd 1933-1942
Margery Allsop 1942-1957
Frank Skitt 1957-1962
Jeffrey Smith 1962-1965
Peter Noden 1966-1969
Gordon Nisbitt 1969-1983