Bradshaw Brook Sunday School

Bradshaw Brook Sunday School

Bradshaw Brook Sunday School

The Sunday School was opened in June 1868. Built behind the Old Chapel it provided a large classroom with smaller rooms off. A partition of glass doors could be opened into the Chapel for special occasions. Although instructions were basically religious, “secular education” was also included and music and singing were encouraged.

The oldest records record Conductors, Teachers from 1867. Scholars names were not recorded until 1900.

Julia Wilson has copies of records which show details of trips arranged for the scholars to North Wales and Lancashire and the use of the School for the Home Guard.

Bradshaw Brook Wesleyan Methodist Sunday School

There were 5 classes for girls 5 for boys and 2 ‘Alphabet’ classes. Each class had approx. 10 scholars and this seems to have been the case from the earliest days until the 1920’s.

100 scholars regularly attended at morning and afternoon Sunday School. In June 1876 there were 121   

Many thanks to Julia Wilson who provided much of the History section, and acknowledgements to the late Charles Bentley who resourced some of the local history and to Gordon Nisbett for much of the information on the history of Allostock School and the WI and others for local memories.