Other Occupations in Allostock
Like most villages Allostock was able to cater locally for essential needs until quite recent times.
Bricks and early drainage pipes were made in the area of Brick Bank Lane, Brick Kiln Field and Clay Bank. Locally made bricks were used to build Allostock Chapel and many of the older farm houses and buildings.
Chair making was another local craft. George Walton who lived at Holly Cottage in the late 1800’s, was a chair maker. During the week he would make six chairs and then every Friday he and his wife would walk to Macclesfield to sell them. He would carry four chairs, his wife would carry two and they would walk across the fields using the old footpaths to shorten the journey, which would be about 10 miles. The chairs would be sold in the Saturday market and then the two would walk home again.
There was a cobbler in Allostock as late as the 1930’s. In the 1890’s John Wainwright was a “clogger” who lived at Boots Green, Jas. Jervis was a “higgler” (seller of provisions) at Booth Bed and Joseph Wilson sold groceries and provisions at his shop on Middlewich Road. There was also a game keeper, black smith, wheelwright and three publicans (Kelly’s Directory 1896)
John Hulse was a brick maker working at Booth Bed brickyard. He made the bricks by hand and employed a young boy to carry the bricks away as fast as he made them.
The days were long in those times and the boy got tired before night. One day he knelt down and prayed the Lord to send rain – big drops and thick - to stop old John Hulse from making bricks.